November 30, 2020 

Last teaching class! Another 2-hour class. Students were late but I think this is because it’s so early in japan. Thankfully, all the students were thereby the end. It felt like a more casual class just knowing it was going to be the last one. I didn’t write a script for this class. 

The guess the word game did not work in the breakout rooms, the private chat function was not working. We all came back and had a spelling b instead and I think students liked this game better. It took a minute to figure out how to play jeopardy and so we had to cut it short.  

The students all told us they enjoyed the reading labs with us. There was a mix of “most enjoyed” activities. Two students responded that they enjoyed using the interactive whiteboard the most. Two of the students enjoyed breakout rooms the most and six enjoyed the quizlet and kahoot vocabulary games the most. 

The activities students would like to do more resulted in two students wanting to do more shift+enter quizzes. Four students would like to do more individual work in class and five would like to do more scanning and reading.”  

I think this is good feedback especially about the scanning and reading, because this is a reading class. I feel like class time was never really geared toward in class reading time. This is totally because of the online platform environments. Teachers aren’t as likely to use in class time for silent reading because we can’t see if our students are actually reading! If everyone turned on the camera it might be different. So, we do more in class activities with the reading to increase engagement with it.